Solar Drainback system design

Moderator: Jason.Alpert

Solar Drainback system design

Postby Gabriel » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:22 pm

I am converting an existing open loop solar domestic hot water system to drainback. It consists of (14) 4x8 flat plate collectors with (6) 120 gallon storage tanks. I would like to use a 60 gallon superstor ultra as the drainback tank but am concerned that the single internal heat exchanger will not be able to remove enough heat from the drainback tank to transfer it to the 120 gallon tanks. What is the btu heat exchange rate of that heat exchanger and what flow rate would i need through it?
Gabriel

Re: Solar Drainback system design

Postby BrentAldenn » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Thank you for the interest in our products,our SSU-60DBX would be more than adequate for the panels you currently have, output from the solar coil is hard to quantify due to the variable collector temperature, versus the temperature through the solar starage tanks, also due to the variable of the water flow stirring through DB heat exchanger makes accurate calculations impossible; furthermore every Drainback tank's internal heat exchanger could exchange far more BTU's than you could possibly have panels.
BrentAldenn

Re: Solar Drainback system design

Postby Benoit » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:49 am

You say that drainback tank's internal heat exchanger could exchange more BTU's than panel could possibly deliver. Could you provide the basis (performance data) on which you are stating that.

Could you also provides drain back tank's internal heat exchanger pressure drop

Thank you
Benoit

Return to Solar Drain Back Tank